If I had a time machine and time travel were a possibility, there are a great many things I would like to do. I’m going to make a list of the things I would do right here just for fun.
1. The first thing I would do is go back to visit my younger self and tell me not to wear sweats everyday and pull my hair back into a long, tight pony tail just because it’s easier. I would instill in young me what little fashion sense I’ve gleaned over the past few years. I would also make young me insist and persist that my mother let me cut my hair. It did wonders for me. Also, it’s worth the extra 30 sec. to take out the contacts every night. And it wouldn’t hurt to save the money you earn, instead of buying energy drinks and who knows what else I wasted my money on.
2. After straightening my time management, style, and spending out, I would go back to a time when Apple stocks were really cheap and buy at least 30% of the company so that I would be a billionaire three times over by 2015.
3. After securing my finances for the next 8 generations, I would go back to the 1950’s and see Audrey Hepburn on Broadway in Gigi. I would also somehow obtain an autograph on something nonperishable. Preferably something I could frame. Not sure what this would be quite yet though…if you think of anything, be sure to let me know just in case time travel becomes available. I also think that I belong in the 1950’s because the styles are what I wish I could wear, the movies and entertainment were higher quality, and Audrey Hepburn was putting out some of her best work. I’m pretty sure I would go back and be at every one of the opening nights for her films…:)
4. After this good mixture of selfish practicality and frivolity I would go back and help fight for causes that I care about. I would most likely join UNRWA (later called UNICEF) and bring supplies to victims of WWII in the occupied territories, march on Washington with Martin Luther King Jr., protest the Vietnam War, etc. I would basically spend my whole life fighting for different causes and helping people in different eras and parts of the world, collecting souvenirs of course.
5. I also wouldn’t mind experiencing the world of Jane Austen. I would travel across the world and 200 years to experience the customs and elegance of the type of society that she wrote about.
What would you do if you could time travel?
Image from the movie Back to the Future (1985).